Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Orgasmic Birthday

I knew that title would get your attention! I realized something wonderful. When you are little everyone makes sure your actual birthday is special and there is a large amount of birthday energy concentrated on that day. It is so nice and lovely for the very young. At my tender age I still work and have a demanding schedule but the birthday gets spread over a few days with get togethers and fetes and wishes delivered as people can, the special day and then the birthday celebrations after. It means that you celebrate a much longer time and I love it. I do love spending time with and hearing from special people in my life.

So my birthday stated last Saturday with the Julia and Anne celebration preparation I shared in the last blog. The Sunday celebrants had a great time and it was delicious fun. People started wishing me hap birthday as my little son used to call it. Yesterday I had a grueling day that started at 5:00 a.m. and involved a trip to Columbus then on to Cincinnati. I had to be in Cincinnati early this morning so I spent last night with Sue and Tom. When I arrived about 6 I found plans for a special dinner. Sue lovingly prepared grilled shrimp over a spinach salad with lemon vinaigrette. The shrimp were sauced with tzatziki sauce (yogurt, dill and cucumbers with lemon) and feta. Tom gardens so Sue also made a salad of eggplant, lemon and garlic. As is that weren't enough we had "cuppycakes" as they named them with mini fruit tarts. Served with a large amount of fun and laughter and with a call from my youngest sister it was incredible. Such sweet kindness and celebration from people so dear is incredible. I heard from Mimi and Bobo with a card and a call with a fun chat. They are in such good spirits it's another gift for my birthday.

This evening Lee and I went to dinner at the Meadowlark where I had an orgasmic dessert. We love local restaurants and this one is great. Lee had Jamaican spiced chicken thighs with rice and grilled bananas. I chose a thick slice of eggplant fried to crunchy goodness with mushrooms and capers teamed with mashed potatoes and broccolini. After this dinner with a glass of wine I was in fine birthday fettle. I decided to go for dessert and it was incredible. Perfect Leo summertime dessert - it was Pavlova.

I've seen it and wanted to try it but never have. That was a huge error on my part. Pavlova is not too sweet, crunchy and creamy - perfect for a texture maeven. It is beautiful and yes I'll use that word orgasmic. I will just tell you that after I ate it I surreptitiously and much to Lee's chagrin gave my plate two licks with my tongue. It was that good. So Pavlova is a nest of crunchy meringue filled with whipped sweet and sour cream. On top of that are strawberries, blueberries and kiwi. To gild this lily it is drizzled with raspberry sauce. OMG!!! The server asked if we would like anything else and I laughed and said I would take 6 more Pavlova's. I'm joking but they were delightful and I cannot wait to eat more.

So this is my birthday wisdom: Don't wait 62 years to eat Pavlova or don't wait to try something new and different and tempting. Your life can be made immeasurably better and fun.

Love to all and thanks for all of the birthday sweetness. You are all my Pavlovas and you know who you are!

1 comment:

  1. You are the BEST, dear Anne. Happy Birthday...again...and I am to delighted to know that you had several days of joyous celebration, cause as you and I both know...you are only 62 (ouch) once! AND I have never even heard of Pavlova...I wonder if Cleveland restaurants know of it...lol

    ReplyDelete