Wednesday, March 25, 2009

In which I ponder the heroes of my life and Thurber and friends return me to laughter

I am tired. It's been five weeks since I started in the new job and like many changes it isn't easy. I am covering several positions and it is a bit of a challenge. The transition ocurred two weeks before the scheduled date for completion of the restructuring process for the team I work with. Our beloved AA is leaving at the end of April to devote full-time to nursing school and we have yet another resignation. All positions are posted and we begin the process of screening, interviewing and hiring. After hiring comes orientation - another process. We'll be hiring for positions that cover 17 counties so that's a lot of territory to orient new folks to. I am fortunate to work with great people and they'll be wonderful resources and colleagues for anyone new.

It has been hard to find time for the things that restore me -family, friends, cooking and books. I did steal some time last weekend to drive to North Carolina to see my aunt and uncle. They are dealing with some health challenges and I really wanted to connect with them. They are wonderful people and it is centering to share some space and time with those dear people. Like so many people in my family and my dear friends they are my heroes.

I am so blessed that among those I count as dear in friends and family are people who embody everything that is good about people. These family and friends are people who will never be in popular media but they make everyone's lives better for their presence. At every opportunity they show up for others and the things they believe in. We don't always agree or think alike but we share a passion for our beliefs and are committed to what we think is good in the world. I am grateful everyday for your presence in my life. You are all my heroes and sheroes

So many times you have showed up for me, it would be impossible to recount them. But, I will share the most recent. Among our treasured friends are Meribeth and Mary. I go way back with Meribeth and Mary. I met Meribeth at church when our children were little and we have bonded over many years. Mary is also a friend from that church. Mary is a very talented artist. I love her art that is such a personal expression of her wonderful personality. Her work is bright, familiar, and catches your eye in a way that is playful and comforting. Mary observes the wry twists of life and can find humor in most of life. It shows in her work and art.

Meribeth is an entrepreneur and has managed several businesses. Meribeth is a connector. She connects to people and really listens to what they are saying. Taking in all of those thoughts and words she is a poet and writer. She loves to present the written word in a most expressive way. Last night after a wonderful dinner and several games of Clue (Mary won both!) we were discussing books and Meribeth talked about a Thurber book she was reading. So she pulled out the book and read in earnest those very funny words. I laughed so hard I cried and laughed and cried. It was a great escape from what has been the normal pace of life these days.

Mary and Meribeth didn't share their recipes with me though I am sure they would. I do however remember an appetizer I made for a dinner we shared some time ago. It is a blend of a hummus and red pepper dip with feta. So easy because you can just whirl it in a food processor and enjoy. It is a perfect prelude to a bottle of wine, talking, laughing and sharing with those who are dear in your life.

Red Pepper Dip

1 can of chick peas drained and rinsed (save the liquid from the can)
3 T. tahini
3 whole roasted red peppers (jarred are fine)
4 oz. feta
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. garlic minced
1/8 tsp. cayenne

Add all of the above to the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. If it's dry adda Tablespoon of the liquid from the chickpeas until the texture is just right. Correct the seasoning with salt and pepper. It is really great with pita crisps or crudites.

Thank you to my dear family and friends for showing up in my life! You know who you are.

2 comments:

  1. I hope I can be counted among those in the above category! So good to see you back on your blog and as always, a heartwarming message along with a tasty recipe. I will make the time to get down in your neck of the Ohio woods....maybe over the summer after "the move."

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful tribue to friendhip, love, and community. i am touched....

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete